Title: 푸른 바다의 전설 / The Legend of the Blue Sea
Chinese Title: 藍色海洋的傳說
Genre: Romance, Comedy, Fantasy
Episodes: 20 (To Be Confirmed)
Broadcast network: SBS
Broadcast period: 2016-Nov-16 to 2017-Jan-19
Air time: Wednesday & Thursday 22:00
Inspired by a classic Joseon legend from Korea’s first collection of unofficial historical tales, about a fisherman who captures and releases a mermaid, this drama tells the love story between the son of a noble family in Joseon era and a mermaid.
How can a mermaid from the Joseon era survive in modern-day Seoul? Shim Chung (Jun Ji Hyun) is a mermaid who finds herself transplanted to modern times. She is caught by Heo Joon Jae (Lee Min Ho), a charming but cold con artist who is the doppelgänger for Kim Moon, the son of a nobleman from the Joseon Dynasty. But in the present time, Joon Jae works with Jo Nam Doo (Lee Hee Joon), a skilled conman who guides Joon Jae to become a genius scammer. But Joon Jae’s friend, Cha Shi Ah (Shin Hye Sun), who works as a researcher at KAIST, may be Chung’s only hope for surviving in her strange new world.
Jun Ji Hyun as Shim Chung
– Kal So Won as Sim Chung (child)
– Shin Eun Soo as Shim Chung (young)
Lee Min Ho as Heo Joon Jae
– Jeon Jin Seo as Heo Joon Jae (child)
– Jin Young as Heo Joon Jae (young)
Lee Hee Joon as Jo Nam Doo
Shin Hye Sun as Cha Shi Ah
Moon So Ri as Ahn Jin Joo
Lee Ji Hoon as Heo Cha Hyun
Shin Won Ho as Tae Oh
Choi Jung Woo as Heo Gil Joong
Hwang Shin Hye as Kang Seo Hee
Sung Dong Il as a trafficker
Park Hae Soo as Hong Dong Pyo
Na Young Hee as Mo Yoo Ran
Kim Sung Ryung
Director: Jin Hyuk
Screenwriter: Park Ji Eun
– The story is inspired by a historical tale about a mermaid contained in a short story anthology known as “Eou Yadam” by Joseon-era scholar Yu Mong In.
– This drama marks the last acting role for superstar Lee Min Ho before he enters his mandatory two-year military service and the first acting role for Jun Ji Hyun after giving birth to her first child.